1. Start with 28-30 oz. of canned biscuits (I use a generic 4 pack of buttermilk biscuits that work great!) Tear or cut each biscuit into 4 pieces and toss the pieces into a lemon/sugar mix a few pieces at time, tossing with your hands; I use a bowl with about 2 cups of sugar and fresh zest of 2 lemons.🍋
2. Heavily coat the inside of a Bundt pan with Crisco. Loosely pile the coated pieces into the pan, dotting with melted butter occasionally.
3. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, then immediately flip onto a plate when removed from oven and add glaze while the bread is still hot.
Make the glaze while the bread is baking. I soften 4 ounces of cream cheese in the microwave, stir in a tablespoon or so of lemon juice, and then gradually incorporate powdered sugar 1/4cup at a time 4 times.
Instructional Details in Photos: (Click on any photo to enlarge it.)
Do you make Monkey Bread? Is your recipe similar? I make a cinnamon monkey bread, too. You can find my recipe here: https://whatamberloves.com/2013/12/28/cinnamon-monkey-bread/
Amber Hamilton Henson
How about a high fat, high protein, low carb dish? Sounds good to me! If, like me, you like olives, feta, & pesto, then this may be the perfect dish for you to make, too! On Sundays, I like to meal prep my lunch for the week. This recipe makes 6 servings, so I’ll enjoy one serving tonight and one serving for lunch each day mon-fri this week. Yay! 🙌🏻
1. Chop boneless skinless chicken thighs into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté in olive oil until done.
2. Arrange chicken, olives, and feta cheese in a 9×12 glass baking dish.
3. Stir together the sour cream and pesto. A spoonful at a time, add it to the top of the baking dish, then smooth it over, thus coating the top of the chicken, olives, & feta with the sauce.
4. Bake in preheated 375*F oven for 20-25 minutes. The Sauce will bubble and edges will brown.
5. Portion into 6 servings. Enjoy!
Ingredient Detail Photos:
The macros were calculated by MyFitnessPal app when I created the recipe and scanned the ingredients into the app.
525 calories per serving
4 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp. Seven-spice powder*
*(I buy this at a local Mid East grocery store. It includes a finely ground blend of all spice, black pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel, & ginger)
2 Tbsp. oil*
*(I used olive oil. A peanut oil would be great, too.)
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cups chicken stock
1 Tbsp. Minced fresh Ginger*
*(I use the tube of fresh minced ginger, available in the produce dept of WalMart.)
2 small serrano peppers, thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup soy sauce
1⁄4 cup Asian fish/oyster sauce
2 cups baby carrots
1 Tbs. rice vinegar
2 Tbs. fresh cilantro leaves
2 Tbsp. green onion, thinly sliced
–Pat the chicken dry and season generously on all sides with salt and pepper and the 7-spice powder. Cut into small pieces, about 2″
–In a large, heavy frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. When the oil is hot, working in batches to avoid crowding, add the chicken and sear, turning as needed, until golden brown, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker.
–Add the chopped yellow onion and Serrano peppers to the frying pan and sauté over medium-high heat until golden, 6 to 7 minutes.
–Pour in 1 cup of the chicken stock and stir to dislodge any browned bits on the pan bottom. Stir in the ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce and vinegar. Transfer the contents of the pan to the slow cooker. Add optional ingredients: I added baby carrots
–Add the remaining chicken stock to the crockpot until contents are covered. Cover and cook on the low setting for 5 hours. The chicken should be very tender and thoroughly cooked.
–Ladle the soup into warm shallow bowls, distributing the chicken evenly. Scatter the cilantro leaves and green onion over the top! Serve immediately.
**I ate it as described above, as a soup, however for my husband and daughter, I prepared white rice and ladled the soup over the rice for their heartier meal.
You’ll try it, too?
I love you, but I’ll love you even more if you use the Pinterest or Facebook Button on the bottom of this post to share it! 😍
Your Friend, Amber
Easy recipe! Don’t overthink it; just adjust for your preferences as you go! I love this combination of flavor! You might leave out the crushed red pepper or kick it up by adding a lot! I’ve added lots of photos for reference!
2 cups of ricotta
0.5 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
fresh smashed garlic clove
frozen chopped spinach ( squeezed and drained)
Jumbo pasta shells, boiled
roasted butternut squash
grated lemon peel
stick of butter
Fresh sage leaves, garlic powder, red pepper flakes
1) Peel, chop and toss in olive oil your butternut squash, then in a hot oven roast at 425 degrees fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes. Cook your jumbo pasta shells according to directions. Steam your spinach according to directions.
2) In a bowl add approximately 2 cups of ricotta, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1 fresh smashed garlic clove, frozen chopped spinach ( squeezed and drained), salt, pepper, your cooled down roasted squash, and grated lemon peel. The lemon peel was key to this dish and added a nice bright flavor. Stuff the shells with the mixture and place in a buttered baking dish and top with shredded pepper jack cheese.
3) Place your shells in a 400 degrees fahrenheit oven until heated through around 20-25 minutes.
4) While it bakes, make a sage brown butter sauce by melting 1 stick of butter in a saute pan until golden brown and bubbly. Add at least 10 sage leaves until slightly crisp, garlic powder, & crushed red pepper flakes. Turn off heat and squeeze in fresh lemon juice. When it finishes baking and cheese is melty, spoon your warm sage sauce all over and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Enjoy!
Your Friend, AmberHH
I like theme days! They’re like simplified, fun holidays! You? In honor of 3.14, March 14th, we made Pie for pi day! Specifically, this is an easy, cheesy Crab Pie!
(More photos after these not too wordy instructions)
2- 9″ deep pie crusts (baked 3 minutes and cooled)
1 lb. lump crab meat *
2 Tbsp. flour
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup whole milk
12 oz. shredded Swiss cheese
8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
3 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1- Tbsp. finely chopped onion
1- Tbsp. finely chopped green pepper
1) preheat oven to 350*F
2) whisk together eggs, milk, flour, seasoning
3) fold in mayo
4) add crab, cheeses, onion, & pepper
5) divide evenly into two pie shells
6) bake for 50 minutes
*) optional, create a “pi” template, then sprinkle seasoning spices (Old Bay) into the negative space of the template to create the pi 💞👍👍
Happy “pi Day,” Friends!
😊 — Amber Hamilton Henson
Serves: Serves 6
1 pound lump crab meat
2 stalks celery, reserve the celery leaves, finely diced (about ¾ cup)
1 cup of shredded/grated “matchstick” carrots
1 clove garlic, minced
celery leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1-2 cups fresh spinach leaves
3 tablespoons reduced fat butter
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups half-‘n’-half
½ cup sherry (can use cooking sherry)
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
black pepper, to taste
Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add the carrots and celery, cook until just softened, 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in the sherry until all absorbed, stir, browning slightly for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken broth, add the garlic, chopped celery leaves, chopped parsley, spinach, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat, stir in light cream, stir and cook over low heat until heated through, then add crab meat, stir, and serve!
LOUISIANA HOT CRAB DIP
1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, free of shells
2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, 16 oz total
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
5 tablespoons minced green onions/scallions
3 large garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a casserole dish and gently stir until thoroughly mixed. Adjust seasoning to taste. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until lightly golden on top. Serve hot.
3. Serve hot, with hot sauce on the side for those who like it spicy. (This recipe makes 3+ cups.)
Our family sure enjoyed this dip as Sunday brunch, today! If you try it, please let us know if you like it, too!
~ Amber Hamilton Henson
PS pinning to Pinterest is encouraged here! 💞
Another low calorie yummy meatless meal rich in vitamins and fiber!
Spaghetti squash, black beans, corn, sautéed onions, peppers, & garlic. + cilantro, cumin, oregano, & chili powder!
This is my new replacement for taco night!
(Mitch had cheese on his! I didn’t.)
1) split your spaghetti squash and cook it face down in 1″ of water in a casserole dish. Shred with a fork after its done.
2) chop veg and sauté, stir in beans, and taco seasoning or other TexMex spices.
3) stir the sauté ‘d veg into to spaghetti squash shell and serve! *Optional, coat with shredded cheese and bake until cheese melts!
Amber Hamilton Henson
GOURMET GRILLED CHEESE
Dill havarti cheese, asparagus, spiced avocado, & sharp cheddar on seeded rye
Easy! You already know how to use a griddle to make a grilled cheese sandwich, so just add some fun between the layers of cheese!
I used great a great dill infused cheese, sharp cheddar, asparagus that was quickly prebaked in olive oil and s&p, and avocado mashed with cayenne pepper and s&p. I used olive oil to lightly coat the bread, assembled, then put it on the hot griddle for a few minutes, flipped it, cooked it a few more minutes. Then, I plated it, took a photo, and ate it! It was super yummy!! You’ll try it? 😃
8 ounces wheat pasta
4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoon black truffle olive oil
1/2 cup shallot, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
16 ounces baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup cream
1 tablespoon fresh parsley paste
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus a few tablespoons for garnish
salt & pepper
Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. While the pasta is cooking prepare the mushroom sauce.
In a large pan, melt 2 tablespoon of butter with 2 tablespoon of truffle olive oil over medium heat. Once melted, add in the shallots and garlic and cook for a few minutes or so, just until softened. S&P
Add in the sliced mushrooms and toss them around to get them coated in the butter and olive oil. If needed, add an additional tablespoon of truffle olive oil if the mushrooms get too dry. S&P. Let them cook and brown for about 8 minutes.
Pour in the balsamic vinegar and stir everything together making sure to scrape up all of the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add in the other tablespoon of butter. Cook everything together for 5-8 minutes and then turn off the heat and move the pan off the burner.
Pour in the cream and parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to combine. Add in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with additional parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top