Show Me Your Charcuterie!
—Blueberries & PepperJack stars
—Hot Bacon Jam & Cream Cheese
—Babyback BBQ pork ribs
Does it look like the American Flag?
I assembled the FLAG tray using items available at our neighborhood Kroger and Walmart stores. Our family enjoyed snacking on the goodies on the tray throughout the afternoon on the 4th of July while waiting until it was dark enough for the firework festivities to start! We hope your family had a fun day, too! —AmberHH
Cilantro and spicy chili come together on these tangy chicken skewers mixed with peppers and onions. Full of flavor from the fresh cilantro, this dish can be made by using the broil setting in your oven or over medium-high heat on the grill.
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup red chili paste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound boneless chicken breasts
cut into 1-inch cubes
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 green bell peppers, roughly chopped
—In a large bowl, combine the cilantro, olive oil, red chili paste, soy sauce, garlic, onion powder, ginger, and black pepper.
—Add the chicken meat. Toss to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to marinate.
—Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Skewer the chicken cubes, alternating with the onions and peppers between each piece.
—Place a foil-lined baking sheet on the lowest oven rack.
—Grill, turning as needed for a bit of char on all sides. Finish cooking in the oven on foil lined baking sheets.
—With a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature. When it reaches 165°F, remove from the oven to cool.
RATIO: 3:1 CALORIES: 355 TOTAL FAT: 25g CARBS: 11.2g NET CARBS: 9g FIBER: 2.2g PROTEIN: 21.7g
(Sidenote: Obviously, I multiplied the recipe so that we could enjoy leftovers in the days that followed.)
Your friend that brazenly posts sweaty selfies on social media,
Easy Recipe! This BlueCheese Dip is great with buffalo wings, pita chips, and more!
4 ounces bleu cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup Heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper
2 green onions, dark and light parts,
Your Friend, AmberHH
1. Start with 28-30 oz. of canned biscuits (I use a generic 4 pack of buttermilk biscuits that work great!) Tear or cut each biscuit into 4 pieces and toss the pieces into a lemon/sugar mix a few pieces at time, tossing with your hands; I use a bowl with about 2 cups of sugar and fresh zest of 2 lemons.🍋
2. Heavily coat the inside of a Bundt pan with Crisco. Loosely pile the coated pieces into the pan, dotting with melted butter occasionally.
3. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes, then immediately flip onto a plate when removed from oven and add glaze while the bread is still hot.
Make the glaze while the bread is baking. I soften 4 ounces of cream cheese in the microwave, stir in a tablespoon or so of lemon juice, and then gradually incorporate powdered sugar 1/4cup at a time 4 times.
Instructional Details in Photos: (Click on any photo to enlarge it.)
Do you make Monkey Bread? Is your recipe similar? I make a cinnamon monkey bread, too. You can find my recipe here: https://whatamberloves.com/2013/12/28/cinnamon-monkey-bread/
Amber Hamilton Henson
How about a high fat, high protein, low carb dish? Sounds good to me! If, like me, you like olives, feta, & pesto, then this may be the perfect dish for you to make, too! On Sundays, I like to meal prep my lunch for the week. This recipe makes 6 servings, so I’ll enjoy one serving tonight and one serving for lunch each day mon-fri this week. Yay! 🙌🏻
1. Chop boneless skinless chicken thighs into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté in olive oil until done.
2. Arrange chicken, olives, and feta cheese in a 9×12 glass baking dish.
3. Stir together the sour cream and pesto. A spoonful at a time, add it to the top of the baking dish, then smooth it over, thus coating the top of the chicken, olives, & feta with the sauce.
4. Bake in preheated 375*F oven for 20-25 minutes. The Sauce will bubble and edges will brown.
5. Portion into 6 servings. Enjoy!
Ingredient Detail Photos:
The macros were calculated by MyFitnessPal app when I created the recipe and scanned the ingredients into the app.
525 calories per serving
4 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp. Seven-spice powder*
*(I buy this at a local Mid East grocery store. It includes a finely ground blend of all spice, black pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel, & ginger)
2 Tbsp. oil*
*(I used olive oil. A peanut oil would be great, too.)
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cups chicken stock
1 Tbsp. Minced fresh Ginger*
*(I use the tube of fresh minced ginger, available in the produce dept of WalMart.)
2 small serrano peppers, thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup soy sauce
1⁄4 cup Asian fish/oyster sauce
2 cups baby carrots
1 Tbs. rice vinegar
2 Tbs. fresh cilantro leaves
2 Tbsp. green onion, thinly sliced
–Pat the chicken dry and season generously on all sides with salt and pepper and the 7-spice powder. Cut into small pieces, about 2″
–In a large, heavy frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. When the oil is hot, working in batches to avoid crowding, add the chicken and sear, turning as needed, until golden brown, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker.
–Add the chopped yellow onion and Serrano peppers to the frying pan and sauté over medium-high heat until golden, 6 to 7 minutes.
–Pour in 1 cup of the chicken stock and stir to dislodge any browned bits on the pan bottom. Stir in the ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce and vinegar. Transfer the contents of the pan to the slow cooker. Add optional ingredients: I added baby carrots
–Add the remaining chicken stock to the crockpot until contents are covered. Cover and cook on the low setting for 5 hours. The chicken should be very tender and thoroughly cooked.
–Ladle the soup into warm shallow bowls, distributing the chicken evenly. Scatter the cilantro leaves and green onion over the top! Serve immediately.
**I ate it as described above, as a soup, however for my husband and daughter, I prepared white rice and ladled the soup over the rice for their heartier meal.
You’ll try it, too?
I love you, but I’ll love you even more if you use the Pinterest or Facebook Button on the bottom of this post to share it! 😍
Your Friend, Amber
Easy recipe! Don’t overthink it; just adjust for your preferences as you go! I love this combination of flavor! You might leave out the crushed red pepper or kick it up by adding a lot! I’ve added lots of photos for reference!
2 cups of ricotta
0.5 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
fresh smashed garlic clove
frozen chopped spinach ( squeezed and drained)
Jumbo pasta shells, boiled
roasted butternut squash
grated lemon peel
stick of butter
Fresh sage leaves, garlic powder, red pepper flakes
1) Peel, chop and toss in olive oil your butternut squash, then in a hot oven roast at 425 degrees fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes. Cook your jumbo pasta shells according to directions. Steam your spinach according to directions.
2) In a bowl add approximately 2 cups of ricotta, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1 fresh smashed garlic clove, frozen chopped spinach ( squeezed and drained), salt, pepper, your cooled down roasted squash, and grated lemon peel. The lemon peel was key to this dish and added a nice bright flavor. Stuff the shells with the mixture and place in a buttered baking dish and top with shredded pepper jack cheese.
3) Place your shells in a 400 degrees fahrenheit oven until heated through around 20-25 minutes.
4) While it bakes, make a sage brown butter sauce by melting 1 stick of butter in a saute pan until golden brown and bubbly. Add at least 10 sage leaves until slightly crisp, garlic powder, & crushed red pepper flakes. Turn off heat and squeeze in fresh lemon juice. When it finishes baking and cheese is melty, spoon your warm sage sauce all over and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Enjoy!
Your Friend, AmberHH
I like theme days! They’re like simplified, fun holidays! You? In honor of 3.14, March 14th, we made Pie for pi day! Specifically, this is an easy, cheesy Crab Pie!
(More photos after these not too wordy instructions)
2- 9″ deep pie crusts (baked 3 minutes and cooled)
1 lb. lump crab meat *
2 Tbsp. flour
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup whole milk
12 oz. shredded Swiss cheese
8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese
3 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1- Tbsp. finely chopped onion
1- Tbsp. finely chopped green pepper
1) preheat oven to 350*F
2) whisk together eggs, milk, flour, seasoning
3) fold in mayo
4) add crab, cheeses, onion, & pepper
5) divide evenly into two pie shells
6) bake for 50 minutes
*) optional, create a “pi” template, then sprinkle seasoning spices (Old Bay) into the negative space of the template to create the pi 💞👍👍
Happy “pi Day,” Friends!
😊 — Amber Hamilton Henson
Serves: Serves 6
1 pound lump crab meat
2 stalks celery, reserve the celery leaves, finely diced (about ¾ cup)
1 cup of shredded/grated “matchstick” carrots
1 clove garlic, minced
celery leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1-2 cups fresh spinach leaves
3 tablespoons reduced fat butter
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups half-‘n’-half
½ cup sherry (can use cooking sherry)
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
black pepper, to taste
Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add the carrots and celery, cook until just softened, 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in the sherry until all absorbed, stir, browning slightly for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken broth, add the garlic, chopped celery leaves, chopped parsley, spinach, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat, stir in light cream, stir and cook over low heat until heated through, then add crab meat, stir, and serve!
LOUISIANA HOT CRAB DIP
1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, free of shells
2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, 16 oz total
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
5 tablespoons minced green onions/scallions
3 large garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a casserole dish and gently stir until thoroughly mixed. Adjust seasoning to taste. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until lightly golden on top. Serve hot.
3. Serve hot, with hot sauce on the side for those who like it spicy. (This recipe makes 3+ cups.)
Our family sure enjoyed this dip as Sunday brunch, today! If you try it, please let us know if you like it, too!
~ Amber Hamilton Henson
PS pinning to Pinterest is encouraged here! 💞